“What is a tangle pie?” I hear you ask. I first heard the term on the Hairy Bikers TV show, it is a pie topped with scrunched up filo pastry (that’s the tangle part) so it is lower in calories but still tasty =)
This recipe is from a free booklet I picked up from ASDA, it is a vegetarian recipe but I added leftover cooked chicken breast, it would work well with any leftover meat. Now I must admit… It makes 4 portions and there are 3 of us in my house, normally the 4th portion would go in the fridge for later but this was such a hit that we ate the 4th portion too… Clean plates all around =D
Creamy veg tangle pie
- 300g broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400g pack white mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 295g can low fat mushroom condensed soup
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 100g cooked chicken/ham/other leftover meat (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Put the broccoli in a pan of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 4 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushroom soup and broccoli to the pan and heat through (Add the cooked meat now, if using). Transfer to a pie dish.
- Brush the filo pastry with oil. Cut into wide strips and put on top of the pie, scrunching up roughly. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.
Believe me when I say this is delicious! If you are going to try just one recipe from this blog, make it this one!
Until next time,