Its no secret that I love pasta. I don’t care if its bows, twirls, tubes or spaghetti, I absolutely love it. When I make pasta sauce its normally tomato based so this recipe was a nice change, its smooth, creamy and delicious =)
Cheesy pasta bake Serves 4
- Half a litre milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g wholegrain pasta (I used bows)
- 150g broccoli, in small florets
- 100g mange tout, larger bits cut in half
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard
- small bunch chopped parsley
- 100g cheese, grated (I used cheddar)
- Bring the milk and crushed garlic to the boil in a small saucepan, then take off the heat and leave to infuse. Cook the pasta following pack instructions, adding the broccoli and mange tout for the final 5/7 mins.
- Sieve the milk into a jug. Melt the butter in the pan until foaming then stir in the flour. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly to remove lumps. Cook for 1-2 mins, stirring constantly until you have a thick, lump-free sauce. If you find you still have lumps (there were a few I just couldn’t get rid of!) sieve the sauce into a jug, then back into the pan.
- Take off the heat and stir in the mustard, parsley, most of the cheese of the cheese and salt and pepper. Tip the pasta and veg into a heatproof dish and pour over the sauce. Scatter over the remaining cheese, heat the grill to high and cook for a couple of minutes until golden.
Delicious =) Although anything that contains pasta and sauce is a winner for me! This is also freezable so I might have a go at making a big batch next time and freezing half of it for another day. If you make this let me know what you think!