I’m guessing most people reading this will be aware of the nastiness going around Twitter the past week. It was all focused on one person because some people didn’t like what he was saying. I am of course talking about Jase from Finding Positives. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, is it really necessary to attack someone because their opinion is different to yours? I have often praised the Twitter mental health community but the last few days I have seen the ugly side. Jase has had to leave Twitter and his blog for the sake of his health, we are supposed to SUPPORT each other!
Jase has been an incredible source of support for me. We started our blogs at the same time and he was the first person on Twitter that I would call a friend. I wouldn’t be at this point in my recovery if it wasn’t for him being there to listen and cheer me on! He has helped me find the little positives that we normally overlook and you know what? I feel great for it!
I was going to express my anger and sadness that Jase has been forced out of our community in this blog post but that would be a negative. It would also be an insult to everything Jase has taught me and everything he stood for. So here are 7 positives that Jase and Finding Positives has helped me see.
- There are positives all around us. We just need to look for them. It could be as simple as sunshine, clothes to wear, food to eat or a roof over our heads. Its the little things we take for granted.
- You are never alone. Jase tweeted that to me shortly after we met and I had tweeted something along the lines of “Is anyone still up or am I alone?”. There is always someone somewhere in the world who is in a similar situation. You are never truly alone with your problems.
- Everyone has their own opinion. Yes that is a positive, the world would be pretty boring if everyone had one opinion!
- Positivity is about drawing experience from negatives. Bad things happen. That is life. But if we can find a way to grow from what has happened then we have turned it into a positive.
- Positivity is also about the little things. I got out of bed this morning instead of lying there worrying. That’s a positive! You convinced yourself to get dressed when you didn’t have the motivation to do anything? Another positive! Especially with mental health its the little battles that matter.
- Humor can help. I’m not saying that laughing will solve world hunger or cure cancer but sometimes there is nothing better than having a joke and banter to lift your mood. To make me giggle on Twitter all you need to say is “Tangerine bikini!”… Its a long story!
- No one can take your beliefs away from you. If you are a believer in positivity no one can take it away from you apart from maybe yourself. Whether you believe in positivity or not, that is your belief, yours to own and no one can steal it from you!
There you have it. To finish I just want to say thank you for reading and Jase if you can see this, thank you for everything! Missing you already, please stay in touch!